This is what I am told everyday (although I still think I have a LONG WAY to go before I become "black." haha. Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone! I have been explaining this (quite) American holiday to people here in Ghana, mostly discribing it as an excuse to drink beer (sometimes green beer) in which I am told "why do you need an excuse to get drunk?" I was hoping to meet up with some of my American friends (I'll explain) and enjoy a guiness, something that is very easy to fine here, but due to our locations, we are going to have to celebrate later this week.
I am planning on spending quite a bit of time on the computer today so forgive me if this blog takes you longer to read that the first few. I have been told (by my parents) that I am writing about people without reminding my readers who they are so here is a quite review:
Catherine: My first volunteer friend in Ghana. From England, was working at Columbus school since early January-returned home one week ago.
Isabella: Another volunteer teacher at Columbus, from Norway, spent 5 weeks working as a teacher, is now in South Africa about to start a 45 day camping safari all over Southern and Eastern Africa (also the one with the terribly romantic boyfriend).
Douglas and Nana: my organziation's coordinators who work closely with all ICYE (International Cultural Youth Exchange) volunteers. They are also students in Ghana, both are 24 I think. They are quickly becoming friends as well as coordinators and are the ones we go to with any questions or concerns.
Martina and Klara: From Switzerland and Denmark respectively and are my fellow teachers at Columbus (both are also part of ICYE).
Emily: My wonderful American friend (who I FINALLY met Saturday night)...she and I have been communicating over the phone since October and were both scheduled to go to Kenya, then choose to go to Ghana together, were told we would be roommates but are now working at different projects about an hour and a half away. She is also 22, from Arkansas and is leaving in two months because she plans on attending law school in August and must move to D.C. and find an apartment.
Columbus Opea: My host father and the owner of the prep school/orphanage. He has quite an interesting story and is someone I am always trying to figure out. He is the pastor is single-handedly named himself bishop and most recently prohet, although the man seems quite un-holy to me.
Georgina: My host mother (mama) and Columbus' wife (is 7 months pregnant).
Naomi: My host sister, age 19. She and I have grown quite close and will only grow closer.
Patrick: My younger host brother, not yet two but I am not sure of his birthday.
There are a number of orphans living at Columbus too but I promise to always give a background when writing about them.
Alright...where to start? Last week was my first full 5 day week at the school. Before that there was Independence day and the week before that I was taking care of other odds and ends during the week due to my absence at orientation (and I am happy to report that I am hardly coughing any longer). I am taking charge and writing my own schedule, trying to incorporate time between classes 3, 4 and 5. Each day I am taking 4 to 5 kids out of the classroom (for 3 different periods daily) and am working on Math and English. I can hardly believe that I am capable of teaching Math because I have always had such a hard time but I am actually enjoying it. Everyday I have to learn new ways of explaining how to check times tables (without looking at their cheat sheets), convert fractions into decimals, do long division, find the volume and area of shapes etc. I remember each of thes topics and equally remember HATING them but realize now that I do in fact understand how to do it, and that there are many easy tricks to learn to help you. Dad-memories or you drilling me on my times tables and various math equations have some flooding back to me and I want to tell you that I now know I am quite fortuant to have parents who nagged and yes, greatly helped me get through "the impossible." So, thank you.
Each day I am writing down in my own notebook the names of children that understand, both right away and after some work with me, and those that are simply copying and have no idea what I am talking about. In the next few weeks I am trying to start taking one or two of these children out of the classroom to do basic, basic math and reading. This is hard because there are so many kids that could really benefit from one on one time but for now I am going to stick to the kids that are really behind. One girl in class four suffers from dyslexia (I am pretty sure), at least with numbers. She is always mixing up the order of numbers and writing her 3's backwards. She also struggles with writing and reading so she is going to spending a lot of time with me.
New topic: I have bought some dvd's in Kumasi, on the street for 3 Ghana cedi's each. Each disc has anywhere between 10 and 30 movies on it! Obviously the quality is not great but totally watchable. One of the disc's is full of disney movies so I have enjoyed watching Shrek 1 and 2 as well as Peter Pan (so far) with some of the kids that live at Columbus. They get a kick out of the animation. There is a tv for my room but it is being repaired (a part of me is really looking forward to being able to watch a movie (I bought Titanic) before bed some nights.
Another quick statement...I found a big supermarket (because no one knows what I am talking about when I ask for a grocery store) and bought Jiffy peanut butter and jelly. I am in heaven with pb & j sandwiches (when I decide that I just can not eat much of the meal given to me). I also discovered where to find twix chocolate bars (I have to have some american, processed junk food!).
Sorry if my toics seem somewhat random but I am constantly writing down things I encouter and then want to share with you all at home. Breastfeeding: for all the Americans who get super umcomfortable when a woman is publicly breast feeding her baby-Do not come to Ghana! Personally I think it is perfectly natural and really a mother is simply feeding her child but due to the number of "sicko's" in the US, I would try to conceal breasts to a point. My story: the other day I was taking a tro tro alone to Kumasi. There were two young children that I did not recognize but they did (they go to Columbus) who were shouting "madam" and Obruni to me. I smiled and waved as them behind me and as I turned there was a woman (their mother I believe) feeding her child, both breasts out for the world to see. when the child pulled away the woman made no effort to cover herself but simply waited for the child to finish eating when she was ready. This whole time she too was smiling and trying to talk to me. It was all I could do to not laugh was I thought of a number of friends in the US who would have no clue as to what to do in this senario.
Water: Mom, I am sorry but I have not yet used my somewhat pricey water purification device. Filtered water is quite easy to find here and you can buy a .5 peswa square, plastic pouch full of water (not sure of the exact amount but around 16 ounces). Although I could save some money by putting my UV ray h2o purification system to use, it may be awhile before I do so.
Alright...last topic for today: disciplining the children while in school. While I am sure there are still children being beat both and home and in the school somewhere in the US, I (thankfully) have never encountered this type of discipline. In Ghana however, the teachers hold small "canes" (sticks made of wood) that they use to scare and hit the kids that are "being stubborn" or that did not do their homework. Of course the other volunteers and myself absolutely hate seeing these children wince (and the younger ones cry) after being "beat." The younger ones are simply hit if they are not paying attention or are out of their seat-mostly I think it is just a power trip for the teachers because they were beat as children too). But the older kids are "beat" for things like not doing their homework or like today for not bringing 1 Ghana cedi in for printing fees. The students must pay for their second term examinations to be printed. Apparently they teachers say they have informed the children to ask their parents or guardians for the money on Friday and when many claimed they forgot Mr. Bochie (class 5 teacher, who overall I like and respect very much-BUT hate seeing what happened today) made each child stand and hold out their hand as he slapped the wooden stick, HARD, on the palm of their hand. I watch as the child winces in pain and is then forced to hold it out for a second beating. Almost every child flintches. I was teaching class 4 about number placement (10 thousand, thousand, hundred, tens, ones) because Bismark (the class 4 teacher had not yet arrived) and I could see over the wall into the next classroom. Mr. Bochie saw me and just told me I do not understand. Later I ask him why he was caning the kids and he tells me about the fees. I says this way they will not forget tomorrow or they will be beat again. For this I am very happy to have grown up in the US. The teachers get a kick out of out uncomfortable the volunteers get when we see canning taking place and they have asked what teachers do when students are stubborn and forget to do things. I say they teacher raises his or her voice and if need be, send the student to the principal. Obviously this does not always solve the problem but I informed the teachers here that if they beat a child in the US they would be sent to jail and would most likely never work as a teacher again. I am also told that many parents use wire or canes to beat their children at home. Again when asked if my parents ever beat me when I was bad and I say no. (For the most part), when my parents yelled at me, that was enough. This makes the teachers laugh because the kids hardly listen to yelling (this is something I can confirm because even though I won't ever beat the children, I have had to seriously raise my voice many times and usually it accomplishes nothing. The worst part is seeing the children "beating" each other in both play and in actual fighting. I have had to break up numerous fights. And when I am trying to take back order in the classroom and one student is really acting out, the other will say, "Madam, beat him." I respond "I will not be beating anyone but SIT DOWN!" Today I told Mr. Bochie to hit my hand, Iwanted to see what it felt like. He did (although he said he didn't do it as hard has he does to the kids) and it of course hurt really bad. My open palm had a welt for a long time. Poor kids.
alright, I am done for now. Hope you have a great week and I will write more soon.
-Erin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment