Sunday, March 9, 2008

the basics

Greetings...
It is Sunday and I have had a long weekend! Since school pretty much ended by Wednesday of last week, I am ready for the week to start. I come to the Internet cafe with an actual list of topics to write in this blog. I realized I have left out some vital basics to my everyday life that I want to share with you all. First off...Ghana (or most of western Africa) does not have a vast population of wild animals to see roaming the grasslands. We do have one national park (Mole) that I hear is quite nice and plan to visit at some point in the new few months but not nearly as many animals as I came across while in South Africa. However, Ghana does have an abundance of goats, chickens and lizards running every which way on the sides of the roads and in the villages. I have yet to eat goat although I hear it is quite good. There is a chicken that has been sitting my the kitchen for over a week now but I am almost positive it will be dinner soon. I have been holding my breath as I walk by the kitchen however, always kind of hoping my little chicken friend is still there. The lizards are everywhere! They are small and never get very close but I still find them fascinating, mostly because I like to picture what would happen if lizards were running about on Queen Anne Hill and still find myself laughing. There are also many dogs and cats that the kids like to tell me are their pets but really these animals fend for themselves.

My host family: Even though I am living within the orphanage, I do have a host mother, father and siblings. My host father is the pastor, Columbus Opea. I have only spoken to him a handful of times and honestly I am still figuring him out. He claims he is in his late 40's but he doesn't look a day over 30. I also hear he used to be a "bad man" who used drugs and sold them to others but has since found god and was reborn. Now he is pastor and continues to one up himself by adding bishop and most recently "prophet." I personally think this is quite entertaining but I struggle to decide if I think he is sincere. His wife (who looks like she may be able to be his mother) is Georgina. She is quite sweet although her English is slim. She is 7 months pregnant however and I am very excited to see the new infant. Georgina and Columbus have a 1 1/2 year old son Patrick. He is very cute and he knows it! This makes him quite spoiled and stubborn (it will be interesting to see how he reacts to the new baby). I do love to make faces at him although he likes to pick which days he likes me and which days be begins to cry as soon as he sees me. Then there is Naomi. Although most people say she is Georgina's daughter, she is actually Columbus' daughter from a previous relationship. She is 19 and is the one I am closet to within my new family. She makes all of the volunteers meals and she is the one I tell if I will be out late or decide to go into town for lunch instead. She helps in the school a lot but does not teach herself. I am hoping to help her learn how to type because she has asked on numerous occasions. She is also extremely involved in the church (which is located right where I live). There are also a number of associate pastors that live in this "village" (for use of a better word) and a about 10 orphans. In Ghana, a child is called an orphan is just one parent has died so there is a family of 6 siblings who have a living mother but no father. Because they come from a single parent household, they have moved into the orphanage. There are 4 girls and 2 boys in this family, all of which I am growing more and more fond of. Mamaya (or just ya) is 14 and is in class 5 but is one of the many who is very behind in her reading. Catherine has been trying to work with her individually and I am going to try to take over. Edith and TK (8, 6) are two other orphans (although they may have one parent alive) that I see everyday. They are always there to greet me with a "Madame Erin" and a big hug. Of course they also ask for books and markers everyday as well. I am still learning the names of the 10 plus kids that actually live at Columbus but give me one more week and I will have it down.
Every Ghanaian has an African name and another name either made up or given to them. The second name is usually western sounding. This Ghanaian name is based on the day of the week you were born. I finally figured out what day of the week I was born and was then given my Ghanaian name (by my coordinators, just one more thing I missed at orientation): Afia Henewaa. This means I was born on Friday and the last name means princess or queen. For the most part, when people we do not know ask us for our names, we are to use our Ghanaian name. I do like the reaction I (and all the volunteers) get after telling them my name is Afia Henewaa (usually a smile and a little chuckle).
What else is on my list? Oh the march last Thursday...I do believe it took longer to just get the ceremony started then the ceremony itself. We did not get to go to the stadium but instead were at a large field to watch all 52 schools march. I was told there would be shade for the teachers and therefore forgot to put on sunscreen. I now have my first real sunburn. It is starting to get better but I have a brutal tan line of a "v" on my back (something Africans find hilarious because I am turning red instead of black, and of course they don't burn ever). We were also told we had to march behind our school to show our support. Out of all 52 schools, I did not see one other "obruni" so Columbus prep school was very popular when all 5 western female teachers followed the students, attempting to march just like them. I think we looked ridiculous but it was still fun.
I have not completed two loads of washing and I am here to say that I will NEVER complain about doing laundry at home ever again! I am too lazy to hand wash clothing while in the states so this was a wake up call. First you take a bucket full of water, add washing powder and soak your clothes. Then one by one scrub each article with a soap bar until you are tired and then you must soak the clothes in clean water/rinse in the shower (I am so spoiled here) until you think most of the soap is out. Then hang to dry. I believe my first load had more soap than water left when I hung them up but I will get the hang of it! :-)
There is much more to say about the church I am a part of (Pentecostal) and I am not sure how often I will be attending but I think I will have to save that for a later date. My time on the Internet is running out. Just one more thing before I go...I don't believe I have mentioned anything about the Ghanaian language. Majority of the country speaks Twi (although it is pronounced more like "ch-ie"). So far I know "Welcome", thank you, how are you, I'm fine and I think that is about it. Although I am told by someone new everyday that they want to teach me Twi. I hope I can pick up quite a bit before my return to the states.
Alright, I am off. This will be a full week at school, and this time Martina, Klara and I will be alone. I plan on continuing tutoring the kids that need help the most while planning some fun art projects as well. I'll keep you posted.
In addition...I haven't been writing many personal emails but I would always love to hear what is going on with everyone back home. Please send me updates on your life as well! erinknutsonwilliams@yahoo.com

until next time:
Afia Henewaa

1 comment:

travelingtiana said...

Hey homegirl! I love your profile pick Thando was practicing some top model poses there!! Do you have a address yet? Mel and I would like to send you a little care package!!

<3 Tiana