Hello all. I find myself once again typing away at the school computer. There are about 7 kids crowded around me, pretending to type as fast as I do. It is Thursday April 24th and I am deciding what to do with my day. I think I will once again head into
I have nothing really new to say other than the random thoughts I write on paper to later explain in my blog. One thing I have wanted to mention for a while is the strong presence of God and Jesus everywhere I look. Well I think I need to better define what I am saying. Religion, mostly denominations of Christianity, is everywhere, literally. No matter where I go I see “God’s time is the best fast food,” “Glory of God enterprise wood shop,” or “All power belongs to Jesus fashion center,” and my favorites “God hates all sinners plumbing” and “in him is peace nail salon.” Many schools also are religious affiliated as well such as, “
Another thing I wanted to address is using the toilet here. Don’t worry I am simply talking about public toilet’s, which you must pay for, and how many times I have paid the 20 pesewa, collected my toilet paper, went inside and came right back out deciding I would just have to wait. People are so forward with their need to go to the bathroom too. First off, now one says ‘bathroom’ or ‘restroom,’ though I have seen a few ‘washrooms.’ Several times a day a child will excuse themselves and say “Please Madame, I need to urinate.” It is hard not to smile when asked this since we have mostly been taught modesty. Then I tell myself, clearly it is natural and something all humans must do so why not just say it like it is? Because there are few public toilets and even some of the locals would prefer to go outside anyway, there are hand written signs all over the towns that state “don’t urinate” or “no urinating by law,” although sometimes urinate is spelled “uninate.” This hasn’t stopped me from casually glancing out the tro-tro window at any given time and accidentally seeing someone, usually a man relieving himself by the side of the road. I really am in a different culture aren’t I?
This leads me into another thing that is quite different from how I was brought up, something I am trying to understand and learn. This morning, as I was watching one of my copyrighted dvd’s of various romantic American movies bought off the street, I heard a shrill scream followed by sobbing. Usually I ignore this sound because it hardly lasts longer than 5 seconds but this time it continued and sounded pretty bad. I ran to the window to see what happened and I saw young Abigail, probably 9 years old, face down on the ground cried hysterically and no one made any move to go near her. I raced outside and ran to her. Clearly she and fallen and scraped herself. I angrily yelled at Joyce, a friend of Naomi’s and occasionally spends the night here, who sat nearby, doing nothing. She simply laughed at me. While I have realized before now that comforting a crying child is not too important to adults around here, I did not realize how far this “rule” went. I had been babysitting since I was 13 and I can tell when a child is in simple need of attention and when they are actually hurt. I picked Abigail up and helped her brush off. I told her to go wash herself with a bucket of water I grabbed for her while I found some band aids. No, her injury was not serious but how was I or anyone else supposed to know that? The rocky dirt in which the children play on has sharp edges and bits of rusty metal everywhere so who is to say she didn’t fall and crack her head on a sharp rock or slice open her leg? After she cleaned she was smiling again but I could tell she was surprised by my reaction. I was still frustrated after tending to her, mostly because not one adult seemed to have the slightest idea what I was doing. I guess I need to get over it though, the kids can’t be pampered here or they will simply not survive. Still…I like to think that my hugs and my wiping away the tears does more good than hurt.
Alright I am off to take a shower, oh how spoiled I am, and head to town. The kids have been asking if they can join me for a movie again tonight and because I will be gone again this weekend (in
Now it is Friday, just one day later and I am going to finish up the blog for the week. I am heading to
Tomorrow I go to
I wish you all a great weekend.
-
Picture update: Today I actually tried to upload pictures from my camera to the school computer and then put some pictures on a cd to bring to the internet with me. The computer gave me the message that it is low on virtual memory and therefore cannot complete the task. I am too nervous to upload my pictures directly to one of the computer’s in the internet cafĂ© because those computers are fairly full of viruses. A friend has his laptop here so I will do my best to upload pictures that way. Sorry. If anyone who has traveled as a better suggestion, let me know.

No comments:
Post a Comment