Week 6…can you believe it because I surely can not. It seems like just yesterday when I came down with pneumonia and had to postpone my travels (yet again). I am once again using the school computers (after hours) to conduct my blog. Today is Wednesday April 2, 2008. I plan on writing my blog throughout the week and posting it this weekend.
The third day of exams is complete and I couldn't feel more helpless. These government tests only confuse the majority of my classes with difficult or strange word usage (often grammatically incorrect according to the English language) and does not adequately test the knowledge of the students (in my opinion). Mostly I have been working with class 4, as usual, trying my best to help without giving any actual answers. I refuse to stand by and do nothing when a few of the kids wouldn’t understand what to do even if I told them the answers. On Monday the entire school (excluding the large nursery school class) took the exam for their Ghanaian language (Twi). It pained me to see that many of the kids barely got 50%. Clearly the students need help in writing Twi, although there are signs up in each classroom stating “Speak English.” It is just as important, if not more so, for the kids to know how to read and write Twi as it is for them to learn English. During exam week(s), there is only one exam per day and the rest of the day is used for studying or preparation for the next day. On Monday I took 8 children out of the classroom, after lunch, to work on Math. I had seen the upcoming Math exam and knew that many of them would have not a clue on at least ten of the questions. We went over values of numbers based on the placement and the difference between even and odd numbers. On the test the students had to be able to solve for t or any other variable and that was defiantly a challenge. I am not giving credit to some of the students however. There are a handful to truly do understand what is going on or at least they comprehend what I am explaining to them the first or second time. I can name each of these 6 or 10 (out of 28) however so that is not a huge accomplishment.
On Tuesday the exam given was citizenship. The types of questions were about the Ghana flag and symbols that represent Ghana (after I went around to practically every student to explain what a symbol is) and questions about what is means to be a good citizen. I think each question was explained in their notes but most of these kids have a class 2 or 1 reading level so they can copy things from the chalkboard but can they later go home and study? Oh and this is interesting: on the question asking the students to identify another name for a type of money and the answers offered were A) culture, B) currency and C) cedi, all but maybe 5 answered cedi. The children have no concept of geography or that Ghana is just one of a number of countries located in the continent of Africa and therefore would have no concept of any currency other than the Ghana cedi. I pointed this out to Bismark (the class 4 teacher) and he did his best to clarify but I’m not sure he was able to get the point across. Each day I have tried to offer help during the exams but most of the time I feel I am only confusing the student more or just frustrating myself. There is only so much I can do since so many must learn to read before they can comprehend how to correctly answer the question. For example, the exam had questions using the word except. An example: “All are true except,” which of course means one should choose the answer that does not work with the statement. This is tough to understand and tough to explain and many children did not get these questions correct.
Now for today: Wednesday was the math exam. School starts at 9:15 but the exams are not given until 11. I had over an hour to try and get some more math concepts in their heads. I grabbed 10 kids and we went to another area in the school building. I gave them each a test that I created earlier with 5 questions (all very similar to questions on the test). After having to fully explain (multiple times) the difference between even and odd numbers and then explaining what “a number multiplied by itself is 36. what is that number?” really means, about half were able to answer my questions without much hesitation. The others had to simply try their best. In addition there were many word problem questions in which the children had to decide how they should best answer the question (usually with multiplication or division) and that was a very difficult task. I remember becoming confused and often getting word problems wrong when I was their age as well. I did my best to break down each question so that they understand. What I found even more frustrating is watching the teacher, Bismark, working out the problems on the test for himself and I had to correct him on many occasions.
We also got into a small argument in the beginning of the test when I saw that he would allow the students to use their multiplication tables for the test. While I know that many would be even more lost without the guidance of these tables, how are they ever supposed to learn when they are allowed to cheat. Every time I take kids out to work with them more individually, I always take away their times tables. They get angry with me but they are also understanding how they find the answer without cheating. Bismark tells me that the US and Ghana are different and that the kids are just allowed to use the tables, “it’s just the way it is.” I then challenged him and asked him to tell me what 6 x 7 was without using a times table. He said he could not do it on the spot. I responded that if he was not allowed to use times tables when he was in school then he could figure it out in his head. I want to guide and help these kids so badly but it is so hard when I try to explain the question many different ways and all I get are blank stares. Regardless, I tell myself that I am helping and me being here is rewarding for both me and for the kids. I just hope by the time I leave I feel as though I have really taught them something.
Suddenly it is Saturday. I had meant to type a bit of my blog each day this week but like I have told friends, the days go by very quickly here. I will be in my room, getting ready for bed around 11 pm and I will be wondering what exactly I did all day. Anyhow, on Thursday the kids had their I.C.T. exam (computer technology). While there are 5 working computers at the school, the computer teacher, Grace, usually does nothing all day. You can find her sitting in front of the computers usually watching Celin Dion music videos. While I have complained about her before, she is a skilled typist and for some reason the headmaster is not convinced she isn’t doing her job. Regardless, I tried to quickly teach classes 4 and 5 some basic computer skills before completing their test about caring for ICT tools, the functions of the mouse, monitor and system unit etc. Many of the students were unfamiliar with any computer vocabulary and therefore had trouble understanding the questions. Again, how productive is this exam really? On Friday class 4 and 5 had a break from exams and I took both classes to the “field” to play football (soccer). The field is quite uneven and difficult to play soccer but we manage. A fun (very large) game of boys verses girls ensues. Usually I bring the kids to P.E. in my school clothes (usually a skirt and sandals) but today I was dressed in shorts and my running shoes and I was a big hit as I played for the girls team. These kids are talented!
What else happened this past week? Well last Sunday I had a bunch of kids in my room to color and to watch some movies. I have some great pictures of them spread out on the floor watching “Aristocrats.” I think tomorrow I will invite them in for “The Lion King,” since the kids will not stop asking if they can come to my room again. I am stern and say “if you keep asking, there will not be a next time.” To this they respond “yes, Madame” but then I find them asking a few hours later. Oh well. Tuesday night I was invited my Columbus (my host father) to the FM radio studio with him. I was not too keen on this idea but I dragged Naomi (host sister) with me. Once there I as told to go “on air” to explain what I am doing and that I love working at Columbus but the kids do need help. The studio was quite nice and also air conditioned! Wednesday morning Naomi and I woke up at 6 am and went for a half hour jog. The sun was just coming up (although it was quite light outside) and it wasn’t too warm yet. I am going to try to make this a twice a week routine. Thursday evening I helped Naomi prepare dinner and I brought my ipod and ipod speakers outside for us to listen to. Before I know it I have ten kids around me and we are having a full dance party to various popular hip hop artists. This lasted about an hour and it was quite entertaining, especially when Emmanuel (a boy from class 5) requested some Michael Jackson and broke out with the moon walk. I love spending time with these children.
Last night Emily, U.S. and Jeanette, Denmark, (two girls from my organization working at different projects) met me in Kumasi for dinner and then they came back to my place for the night. We had bought popcorn and chocolate cookies and decided enjoyed the fact that I have access to a dvd player. The three of us watched “Romeo and Juliet” and ate junk food all night, what else could I want for a Friday night?
Alright, I guess this blog has gone on long enough. I promised some of the boys I would go join them for a game of football, even though it is 100 degrees outside and it is the middle of the day. Have a great next week everyone!
-Erin
I meant to send this yesterday but the internet café near my place was “out of order” or something. Football on Saturday was fun but I think I lasted all of 30 minutes before needing to go inside with a fear of heat stroke. Today was the science exam. Tomorrow I am working on English and then the English exam is on Wednesday. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment