Hello everyone...
First and foremost: THANK YOU so much to all those who helped in so many ways to support me and my volunteer efforts in Africa. I appreciate all the financial support as well as the travel advice, the hugs and compassion and the friendships.
With that said...
Although I had hoped to write my first blog on the eve of my journey, as most of you now know, I had to put those travels on hold for just a bit. Kenya's presidential election took place on December 27th and the violence began shortly after. President Kibaki won the election and the opposition, Odinga then accused Kibaki of rigging the election. Most of the violence started between the two largest Kenyan tribes, the Luo (Odinga) and the Kikuyu (Kibaki). Currently, over 500 people have been killed (according to the Seattle Times) and although many are calling for a peaceful stop to the violence, it does not look like things will be settling down within the next few weeks.
My heart goes out to all those that live in Kenya, the innocent children and those fully participating in the violence. From what I learned during my time in South Africa, so many people living in various slums all over Africa have such a low quality of life that they feel they have nothing to lose but to kill others and risk their own lives for something to believe in. Of course I wish for nothing else but to be able to go to Kenya and begin the journey I have been planning since I applied to United Planet in late June but I must respect the organization that postponed the program, the U.S. government travel alerts and of course my parents. I spoke with United Planet yesterday expressing my want to possibly relocate.
There are two other girls from the U.S. also supposed to be in Kenya right now. I have been talking to both of them and have grown especially close to Emily, from Arkansas. It is amazing to me how two people can become friends without ever meeting one another. One of my major disappointments (aside from being told I have to wait) was not being able to meet Emily just yet. The two of us, along with Laura from San Diego, hope to all be placed in another country. United Planet offers programs in Uganda, Nigeria, Ghana, Morocco and Mozambique. I honestly just want to get going at this point and while each country is different, I am sure I will enjoy myself where ever I am placed. I should hear by the end of the week of my plans (and then I must apply for a new visa AND rebook plane tickets...quite pricey). I will of course keep everyone up to date.
Before I go, I have just one more thought: I felt shocked at first when I told so many people (I am speaking majorly about people in their twenties) who had no idea as to why I had to postpone my trip. I then wondered just how on top of the growing Kenya new stories I would be had I not been planning on moving there. I like to think I am on top of world events however I most likely would not have made the effort to know what was going on outside of the U.S. I urge everyone, but mostly those in close to my age to check the new papers or online cnn.com to be up to date with news about the world. Please look into the violence in Kenya on your own. There are many articles on the Seattle Times website.
Thank you all and I will be in touch.
Cheers,
Erin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hello Erin, what a fascinating blog.
My name is Lavinia and I run the African Informer news site.
You might be interested in keeping up on the events in Kenya by visiting African Informer's blog to leave comments, or the main site (links are at the blog).
African Informer in based in South Africa, and I'm glad to read that you have been here with your university.
cheers,
Lavinia
Erin...I heard about the violence when we were still in Montana. I called your mom , but eventually heard about the delay from Jen. I am relieved you have requested another destination. Trouble spots should be dealt with by experts, not first time volunteers. I am proud that you still want to go though. I hope they place you in another country soon. It is true most Americans are unaware about news from the rest of the world, especially your age bracket. They have not yet realized how things outside the US can impact them personally. I am glad you have made that connection and trust your friends will soon. This situation and your blog will surely open some of eyes.
Post a Comment